Mānuka Honey is one of the most unique and beneficial forms of honey in the world. In 1981, researchers at the New Zealand University of Waikato discovered that Mānuka Honey has a considerably higher level of enzymes than regular honey and identified its active agent, methylglyoxal (MGO)—the concentration of which is widely measured in the industry to determine the potency of what’s in the jar. These enzymes create a natural hydrogen peroxide that works as an antibacterial.
The literature makes it clear that Mānuka is no fringe therapy; along with anti-inflammatory effects, the honey has incredible value as a wound dressing—with efficacy even against antibiotic-resistant microbes.
Mānuka Honey benefits are wide, including helping with:
- Digestive issues;
- Low stomach acid;
- Treating acne and eczema;
- Combatting Staph infections;
- Treating burns, wounds and ulcers;
- Preventing tooth decay and gingivitis;
- Improving sore throats and immunity
- Helping with allergies.
Mānuka Honey is a beautiful raw resource for using as a beauty and skincare product – our favorite way to use it is straight out of the jar for a nightly face mask and also as a face cleanser!
And on top of that; as a psychoneuroimmunological therapist, I advise the use of it for people who tend to have periodontitis: a condition where the gums are inflamed which can give blood while brushing teeth. This is a high alarm and really need to be treated, 'cuz when you don't, your barrier is broken, blood is on the surface, and it opens doors and gives free access for pathogens to come into your bloodstream and into your body. Even worse: they are sò close to the brain already, that they tend to migrate there and cause infection in the brain, with all sorts of symptoms such as fatigue, low focus, brain fog, impact on your social behaviour, mood swings, ...
This being said: periodontitis can also be a consequence of emotions that are stuck such as grief, loneliness, frustration, powerlessness, doubt, etc..
How does that work? I am happy to tell you more about it in another blog! =)
Back to the Manuka.. When you have bleeding gums while brushing: get some raw manuka honey and put it on your gums just before bed. (brush your teeth before, not after).
Now let's break down further the main characteristic of this amaaaazing Activist manuka:
- Burns and wounds: The methylglyoxal enzymes within the honey create a natural hydrogen peroxide that works as an antibacterial. Mānuka can soothe inflammation and pain, as well as, dress a wound at any stage. Lastly, it can stimulate wound healing time and repair white blood cells. A great way to utilize it is by making a poultice or compress, in which, you can infuse herbs like plantain or calendula for extra potency and soothing properties.
- Digestion: Mānuka is wonderful for supporting the natural digestive microbiome. Because low stomach acid can come from overgrowth of bacteria, Mānuka is a great way to rid your body of those pathogens and keep the digestion flowing properly. This is because it contains oligosaccharides, which have a prebiotic effect on the gut and promote the proliferation of good flora. In addition, the high antioxidant content has been found to be effective in the treatment of gastric and peptic ulcers, inflammatory bowel disease, colitis, dyspepsia, GERD, Staph infections, food poisoning and more. We eat is by the spoonful daily!
- Oral Health: For someone looking to their keep teeth and gums healthy, Mānuka is the quintessential antidote. Because of its anti-bacterial and microbial properties, it can kill plaque and improve and prevent issues relating to tooth decay and gingivitis. It is great when used as a mouthwash or oil pull to remove toxins, especially for someone suffering from periodontal disease. It can easily be spread across gums and teeth, and since it’s non-toxic, can actually be swallowed with saliva.
- Immunity: Mānuka has been proven to have efficacy against antibiotic-resistant microbes, promoting its healing powers against pathogens internally and externally. When sick, it improves sore throats, helps soothe coughs and improve common cold symptoms. Mānuka also helps people with acute sinus problems and allergies. We sometimes take a spoonful of raw Mānuka in the mornings when our hay fever begins to act up and gargle it with lightly warm salt water when our family has a sore throat.
- Acne, eczema and dermatitis: Due to its anti-inflammatory properties, Mānuka has extraordinary healing properties for skin conditions. It can reduce redness and heal congested or inflamed skin such as eczema or psoriasis. Additionally, Mānuka can be used for its anti-bacterial properties on the skin by oxygenating pores, which can draw out or reduce the amount of bacteria on blemishes. This can drastically improve acne-prone skin. You can use Activist Mānuka Honey as an everyday face wash, direct spot treatment on acne or make a face mask and leave on for a set amount of time.
- Skin Repair: Living in a toxic, environmentally polluted world, we are subjected to toxins left and right. It is almost impossible to avoid absorbing them. This is why we must take extra care of our skin. These toxins that are present in the environment, become prevalent and visible on our skin. Mānuka is magical at repairing skin damage. It promotes skin regeneration, repairs cellular damage and lessens scarring. Just lather it on wherever you need and watch your skin transform.
- Anti-aging: Studies show that the Methylglyoxal found in Mānuka Honey has been shown to increase and protect the production of collagen in the skin, promoting structural growth and regrowth. Mānuka’s amino acids harmonize perfectly the pH balance of our skin, helping us age gracefully. It is also extremely hydrating for the skin, helping to retain moisture, which is an important part of preventing and reducing fine lines. Mānuka can be taken internally or externally for this reason.